Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Papier-mache sculpture in progress: Susan Komer art

My last post showed the process of building the armature for this piece.  The photos that follow are first layer process photos.  During this phase, I'm working to get the first layers done to provide a more stable surface for shaping the form.  The plastic & tape armature I've used is something new I hadn't tried until now.  I think that its great to get the proportions right, but it does have a tendency to lose its form.  I'm doing a lot of shaping on the backside as when I did the front, the weight seemed to collapse the form.  A bummer for sure, but something I can work with.

We've had some rain and windy weather for the past two days, so I was forced to move inside which slows the dry time.  Drying layers before moving on is crucial or you'll have collapse in structure...while I know this full well...I still tend to push it a bit which only adds more work.  Patience...something my creative flow has a tough time dealing with!


No comments:

Post a Comment