Thursday, April 30, 2015

Acrylic on panel sculpted painting by Susan Komer

So I have two paintings to share, one is a 22"x22" acrylic on panel...it is based on the other sculpted piece which is mixed media 16.5"x17.5" also on panel.  I began the smaller piece first, experimenting a bit with my medium.  As any artist knows...sometimes an experiment works...sometimes it doesn't.  In this case, my sculpture cracked...I kind of thought it might, but I went with it anyway and yes...cracks!  But, rather than toss the cracked piece in the 'never to be seen' pile, I decided to keep working it.  The painting is just about complete, the 3D sculpted piece is still being worked...but I thought I'd share them both on the same post so that you can see the two together.

The idea behind it...facing ones fears.  While I've been pursuing my dreams of art school and an art career for the past 5 years, I had spent the previous 20 as a stay home mom & wife.  Going back out into the world to pursue my own dreams was a terrifying thing to do...especially attending OSU where my peers are all younger than my own children.  Now, I'm one semester from graduation and more happy than I could have ever imagined.  Fear, what a thing...you either have to face it head on or let it hold you back.  I chose to face it, a choice I will never regret!

If you like what I'm doing, please feel free to find me on Flickr and instagram as well...work in progress is often posted on instagram and my Flickr account features lots of my photographic work.  If you like to hear my thoughts...this is the place to be!  Don't forget to follow me so don't miss my updates and to hit the google + to share my work with others.

Thanks for stopping by!



No comments:

Post a Comment