Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Acrylic painting on panel in progress by Susan Komer

I've been busy finishing up this semester of school...studying for exams, writing final papers and this...a final painting for my painting 2 class.  I've been working in acrylic on panel...the first panel I've ever constructed on my own.  It was an interesting and quite simple process really, once you get passed the fear of those friggen saws!  Yes they are dangerous and the noise is deafening...but the results of a panel are wonderful.  In the past I've stretched my own canvas and worked on papers, cardboard, and anything else that stayed still long enough for me to gesso...but panel is by far my favorite.

My original piece is a mixed media piece of this same image...though I must confess that through a bit of experimentation I had a catastrophic failure.  I was sculpting the image out of papier mache and wanted to see what would happen by adding an air dry clay to the mix...my greatest fear happened...massive cracking.  In its own way it is interesting to look at...so I'm continuing to work the piece, I'll be posting pics of that later.  For now, this is the work in progress of the acrylic on panel.  I used a glaze for the background/water...the rest is acrylic with retardant for the purposes of blending.

The hardest part seems to be waiting for one part to dry before I start hitting the next.  The painting is currently a bit further along than this, but I thought I'd at least update you all to where I am at this point with a photo of the painting from last night.  As I get a bit further with this one and the other...yes I fully intend to finish that other one...cracks and all...I'll post more pics.

Enjoy!  And don't forget, you can find me on flickr & instagram.  I hope you'll choose to follow me here on my blog & on my other feeds...thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment