Wednesday, April 25, 2012

...a glance from the bottom of a wine glass.

...liquid amplifier.

So my upcoming project is an experimental film...for the layman that means that it will be a bit nonsensical.  Just remember, this movement in film was to break away from commercial Hollywood and create films that made the viewer interact in some way.  Usually in the sorting out of seemingly random moments that have appeared in no particular order, in turn... causing the viewer to try to make sense of the organized confusion.

For this project, my mind is swimming with idea's but none quite fit the parameters of what I've been thinking; until today.  I was filling a glass with wine, as I tend to do after a hard day, when it hit me.  Growing up in a home of alcoholism and abuse, I often find myself turning to the false sense of numb that alcohol provides, and fight desperately not to allow myself to fall into the hole, though at times, I do.  The problem is that for me, the journey to the bottom of that glass weaves me through some pretty hurtful and harsh terrain.  I hope to use this project to project through random objects from my past, an emotional journey amplified by alcohol.  

I believe the due date for this project is a week from tomorrow or Monday...so keep watching and be sure to share your thoughts...outsider opinion is always valued:)  

If you follow my blog you'll have current updates of my posts as they come.  Please try to remember, as an artist, anything goes...so please keep an open mind.  

4 comments:

  1. I think it sounds really intriguing...So, you are focusing on a sort of psychological space and exploring this through different objects from your past? Or will the project be confined to the wine glass as a "place"? Either way works.

    Also, just to clarify, although some of the examples I showed in class were definitely meant to be nonsensical (especially the Dada and Surrealist films), I am expecting that the imagery you use in your projects will combine to create a particular mood or message...although abstracted through various editing techniques, there should be a consideration towards the concept you are addressing....Think about how you can visually convey these feelings of hurt, numbness, control vs, chaos, etc. through video and editing/manipulation techniques.

    I'm excited to see what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking of shooting through the bottom of the wine glass to provide the distortion/amplification of each object...I also really liked the idea of adding some color...perhaps a light overlay to depict a mood or feeling...we'll see...once I see what all of my options are I think things will become more clear.

      Thanks for clarifying a bit...I think in my head it's all straight...just having a bit of difficulty conveying it clearly. Hopefully my project won't!

      Delete
    2. I see..I love the idea of shooting through the wine glass to distort the objects! Excellent. Because you will be emphasizing the distortion and achieving it through camera, you may end up not wanting/having to do much manipulation to the videos beyond editing...gather the footage and then you will be able to mess around with it next week.

      Delete
    3. Ahhh....music to my ears...less is better...as with photography...it's best to shoot it right the first time cause it sure beats the heck out of editing:)

      Delete