Sunday, May 6, 2012

The over-sized Avocado Sculpture

For my sculpting class we were to take a piece of food that fit into our hand and enlarge it through sculpture.  The following  photos take you through the painting process to the finish product.  I loved this project even though there were times it had given me extreme grief!  In the end...I'm quite satisfied with the finished product.
papier mache over foam that I cut, hot wired, sanded and glued

primed

primed


lighter green under coat
dark green top coat

yellow &light green added

the pit & finishing touches to go

the finished product


one enlarged avocado sculpture

9 comments:

  1. Looks fantastic! Very impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! You did a great job not just with the shape, but the colors are perfect as well.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lori...I ended up having to mix colors to get the right ones...and that took several trials & errors before I got it right. On the plus side...I have all kinds of paint around now for all sorts of different projects:)

      Delete
  3. How were you able to make the body shape so perfect? what was the structure inside?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm also trying to make this avocado paper mache for class, and was curious how you made yours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The armature is made of foam board. I layered it together using a special adhesive safe for foam, this is important because most adhesives will eat away at foam. Once the adhesive dries you can cut,carve,rasp, sand and/hot wire the shape you desire pretty vigorously without it coming apart. I also used my own papier mache, one that I have used for many years...I don't really have a recipe for it, I just know the consistency and eye it basically. If your instructor has you using wall paper paste...this WILL NOT WORK ON FOAM...peals right off. The first layer of mache applied needs to be a good solid base that covers every inch of the foam because paint also will eat the foam...I used at least four layers just to be sure. Also, you should use a good quality primer/sealant prior to painting it...you really want to be sure that your foam is protected well, it's a lot of work and would really crush you if you started to paint and it began to shrivel before your eyes...best of luck!

    ReplyDelete