Friday, January 4, 2013

Day 4: 365 self-portraits of 2013 by Susan Komer

Day 4: 365 Self-Portraits of 2013 by Susan Komer

January 4, 2013

Today I was thinking back, drifting into old memories that always made me smile.  When I was growing up, my father & uncles all wore their hair greased back in tidal waves & duck tails; slicked back with grease, small plastic black combs in their back pockets to keep those looks fresh.  When I look back at old photos, those hairstyles have always brought a smile to my face...a different time, a different place...yet one I have always embraced in my mind and heart.

Today is a tribute to the men in my life...who at the time all seemed like tough boys: the first memories I have of self-expression in those early days when it wasn't so easily embraced by others...but likely where I've found the courage to always express myself as I am, continually falling away from the norms, coloring outside of the lines...free to be me.


2 comments: